-->

Monday, January 31, 2011

The Dog House (13)

Day 13: My Week

Whoever said dogs are mans best friends: LIED.

It's not that I don't like dogs...Because I do...sometimes.

They can be sweet and cuddly and they can keep you company when you don't want a human to talk with. Plus, it's nice to have someone love you and get excited when you come home. Even if they bark obnoxiously and then try to lick your lips for ten minutes straight and you just can't handle the love. It's still kinda fun sometimes.

But they aren't the best of friends.

Those of you who know me are probably very confused. Why? I have never owned a dog in my life. Still don't.

But I have this job...

Which I am EXTREMELY grateful for. I love it so much.

This week I am doing my job. A week at The Dog House.

Dog #1
Lily.
She is probably my favorite. She's white and small and fluffly and easy to carry around and she doesn't bite you or smell horrible. But she's the one who is crazy affectionate and licks me until I am covered in dog saliva. Definitely spoiled.


Dog #2
Madie.
I have to admit...I am kind of scared of this dog. She is medium sized. And black. But her eyes are CRAZY. They are small and black and beady and they just stare me down. One time...she was in heat. And she was INSANE. AH. It was the scariest week of my life. She followed me everywhere and her paws would almost tip me over and I couldn't sleep at night because she would jump on me. So I kicked her and threw her out of the room and cried in fright. But she would come back with her insane eyes. Gah. Never. Ever. Let a dog who is in heat sleep with you.


Dog #3
Ranger.
Ranger is nice. He is huge. And fluffy! And old. But he has some disease or something and I feel bad for him. He smells real bad too. But he doesn't give me any grief because he just sits outside all day.


Dog#4
Tom-Tom.
(They got rid of Tom-Tom about two months ago. But I still have to include him in my list)
HE IS CRAZY. The smallest and wimpiest dog I have ever seen. But with the loudest bark. He barks at everything and everyone. He hides under the couch and won't let anyone touch him and runs around in circles for hours and hours just barking. He has hardly any fur and picks on all the other dogs. I don't understand why someone would want to own him. Him and I had this game where I would taunt him with treats to come out of his hiding places, lure him into the laundry room, then HA! Slam the door in his face. But then he would go crazy and hit himself against the walls and if I left him in their too long it was my own downfall...


This is what my week is going to be like. Sleeping with the dogs. Starting...tomorrow. Wish me luck, please? There are also two cats who bite, a fish tank, and a gerbil(he bites too).



Sometimes I get lonely. So feel free to visit.



And I really do love my job. It's way better than fast food (*cough* Taco Time *cough*) and It's even a little nice to have a huge house to myself to relax and enjoy.

There's also another part of this job that makes all the dog/cat/fish/gerbil/house-sitting part all worth it...


I get to take care of three of the most beautiful souls in existence.

Blake(18), Andrew(16), and Carter(12).

I love these boys so much. :)

I got to see them on Sunday. I have been thinking a lot about these boys because I have included them in many of the Scholarship essays I have been working on (DEATH TO SCHOLARSHIP ESSAYS). But I was pleased with this one. It expresses how much I have learned and how much I love my job at The Dog House.

These boys cannot walk, talk, go to the bathroom, or feed themselves. They have the mental capacity of a 6 month old child and need constant care and attention. I have had the opportunity to work with them and learn more about people. I feed them through a tube in their stomach and I change their diapers and clothes. I sometimes read stories to them or sing to them when they cry. When I first took the job I was a little bit intimidated by what I needed to do. It isn’t necessarily a difficult job; but it is important. If left alone they could possibly hurt themselves or die. I see them relatively often and every time I do I come away feeling like I have learned more about others by caring for them. Even though they are unable to speak, they communicate by laughing and crying and squealing. I can see the love they have for me in their eyes and their smiles. It makes me realize how important they are. They are people with souls. They love. My interaction with them has taught me to love like they love. With no selfishness, no hurt, and no regrets. They are beautiful people. I feel like I have been kinder to others, more aware of their needs, and my heart has a larger capacity to truly love the people in my life because of them.

Not many people get to see celestial beings so often.


It's a beautiful thing.


Staying at The Dog House this week will be fun. No Tom-Tom, Madie hopefully isn't in heat, and I get to cuddle with Lily as much as I want! Maybe I will give Ranger a bath...

Day 13: COMPLETED

4 comments:

Anna Elizabeth said...

HAHAHAHAHA Your drawing of Madie makes me oh so happy. :) I'm totally visiting, by the way.

And yes, aren't celestial beings the best??

Anna Elizabeth said...

P.S. Were you changing the design of your blog WHILE as was writing that? Because the font changed IN THE MIDDLE!!!!

It was kinda sweet.

Shelby Brimley said...

YAY! COME VISIT ME! PLEASE!

Shelby Brimley said...

Yes, Yes I was. Hello, Anna :) Like the font change?