-->

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

L-O-V-E (05)

Day 05: Define Love.

"What is LOVE?! Baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me--no more" YA! Stake dances, baby.
I digress.
This is my question:
What is love?

About 80% of songs are about love.
I'd guess a similarly high statistic for movies.
Obviously, to us humans, love is important.
But what is it?

Love is broad.

It can mean about a gazillion different things.

Sometimes, these words all relate to love:
sweet, awesome, like, cool, affection, romance, passion, time, hobby, favorites, family, friends, relationships, interests, boyfriend/girlfriend, marriage, charity, true-love, puppy-love, childhood-love, teenage-love, obsession, pleasure, service, caring, leisures, satifaction, food, appreciation, admiration.

Love is...
blind.
the sweetest thing.
a song that never ends.
a battlefield.
a dangerous necessity.
here to stay.
the tender trap.
a merry-go-round.
a friendship set on fire.
patient.
kind.
spoken here.

L-The way you look at me!
O-The only one I see
V-VERY VERY EXTRA-ORDINARY
E-Even more than anyone that you adore.
All that I can give to you.

Ya. Everything is about love.
The list goes on. Love is...a broad word. It can have so many different uses and intentions and connotations and subtlies and twists.

And this is probably why the 30-day-challenge-that-I-am-slightly-tired-of-right-now poses this interesting topic.

Because the word love is so overused and underused at the same time. It is powerful and meaningless. It is wholesome and profane. It is the best thing in life-and the worst.

Except those are lies... Because love IS good. At least--the true and untainted meaning of love. It's the things that pretend to be love that maybe cause heartache and pain. Or maybe it's the selfish part of love. No. That's not right. Because love isn't selfish.

Who am I kidding? I can't answer what love is.

When it boils down to it, google search and itunes just doesn't do my research justice. This is where I get my answer:

John 13:34
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

So...using that blessed thing called logic: we are commanded to love as Christ loves us.

The pure love of Christ; the love that Christ has for the children of men and that the children of men should have for one another; the highest, noblest, strongest kind of love, not merely affection.

This is what love is.
What it TRULY is.
The noblest, highest, and strongest kind of love.
And for some odd reason it's the biggest secret-that-doesn't-want-to-be-a-secret in the whole world.
Nobody knows what love it.
This is what love is.



Day 05: COMPLETED

1 comment:

Anna Elizabeth said...

Love this. And Up? Perfect representation.