-->

Sunday, November 28, 2010

It's The Holiday Season #2: Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving has been such a memorable one. Remember in my post about friends how I talked about my best friend from Malaysia, Minami Funakoshi, coming to visit me? Well, it happened! She came! She has been here all week spending time with me. So along with the mashed potatoes, turkey, rolls, stuffing, ham, and pumpkin pie; I have been grateful for her and the happiness she has brought to my home and family this holiday.

Day 1: Sunday
I picked Minami up from the airport and could hardly recognize her! It has been nine years since we last saw each other. The car ride was spent looking at old pictures and trinkets and catching up. We got home around 2:30am and crashed.

Day 2: Monday
I skip school to spend the day with my friend. This day was difficult for me. I REALLY wanted to make sure Minami had fun and she did something cool and unique to Utah. But I was having difficulties: the lights aren't up yet, too cold for hiking, not enough snow for sledding/skiing/snowboarding/snow fun, too cold for the canyon or the lake, etc. I eventually decided to take her to Temple Square anyway. Two lovely sister missionaries gave us a quick tour and it was a great experience for me. I was a lot of fun and very interesting to talk to Minami about the gospel. A lot of things I was comfortable and confident to talk about, but it opened my eyes to how unprepared I would be as a missionary! We had a great time.


I also took her to the Capitol building. She loved the view.



After that I showed her MY favorite thing to do in Salt Lake City: Decades.


Then that night she came to my play: The Music Man. I was slightly.....EXTREMELY embarressed; but, she insisted. I am still hopeful that she enjoyed that as well.

Day 3: Tuesday:
Minami actually went to hang out with her friend at BYU so I was by myself today. But I had an eventful day. Closing Night! Last Day of School! Passed my Psych test! Success.

Day 4: Wednesday:
Today I worked my last shift at the dreadful Taco Time (I quit on Monday after a fit of hysterics) HALELUJAH! At night we had a gingerbread party. There was definitely a lot of love in the air. Merriment. Happiness. Joy. Laughter. Peace. What else are the holidays about?

                                           Notice: Curry and Gingerbread house-- Awesome.
(Hannah's "gingerbread house"; creative?)
Day 4: Thursday:
Happy Thanksgiving! It was Minami's first Thanksgiving dinner ever.

We made about 200 rolls for the occasion and enjoyed spending time with my boisterous Frampton family.




We also went repelling up the snowy canyon and that night we slept under the Christmas Tree.

                                                          
                                                         Minami's FIRST snow angel!




Day 5: Friday:
Unfortunately, in Asia the driving age is 18- So Minami doesn't have her liscense. I took her driving for the first time and we decorated the Christmas Tree. A yearly tradition I was happy she could participate in. Perfect word: cozy.

Day 6: Saturday:
I had to say goodbye today. But I had the best Thanksgiving break ever spending time with her. It's hard to put into words what it is like to see someone you used to be very close to and havent seen for almost a decade. Memories flooded back and we discussed funny elementary school times and our childhood feelings and concerns. They seem silly now; but still such a part of us. I hope we can always keep in touch.

SO FUN

Minami's "1sts"
-Utah
-Canyon
-Snow angel
-Record player
-Player piano
-Driving experience
-Sleeping under the christmas tree
-Thanksgiving dinner
-Gingerbread House
-Missionaries

A Very Memorable Thanksgiving.
Thanks Minami!

No comments: