-->

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dreams Do Come True In Disneyland

I, being one of the luckiest ladies this side of the border, had the incredible opportunity to spend a whole week with my best friend on a senior road trip.


FUN, HUH!?


Ya. It was. And that's why I haven't posted for a week!


But this one is a good one.


The last three days of our adventure we went to The Happiest Place On Earth. The most beautiful, the most peaceful place, I've ever been. The place where dreams come true. And time never ends.


The D-Land.



(sung) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!


Now, like your average tourist, I enjoyed the rides, Indiana Jones, Big Thunder (The wildest ride in the WILderness!), Space Mountain, The Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain (my favorite), and the many less thrilling but wonderfully themed attractions. 
 
Unlike your average tourist, I was kind of/sort of obsessed with all the musicians at the park... Ha.
 
Have you ever seen the Dapper Dans?!?!
AMAZING.
 
Or the Royal Street Bachelors? That's the incredible Disneyland Jazz Band! WOO!
 
Or what about the Pirate ensemble? 
 
Or the Hillibilly band?
 
Or the Ragtime pianist on Main Street?!
 
I bet you didn't even know about half of those. But I did. I admired them almost to the point of creepiness actually. But, Hey! It paid off.
 
My dreams came true on that trip. 
 
It all started when I was on the train about to go to the Primevil World when a soft and delicious sound reached my ears. It was the sound of Duke Ellington's "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". I spotted the Jazz Band on New Orleans Square--The Royal Street Bachelors--ditched Hannah, jumped off the train and pulled up a chair right in front of them and sang along to that beautiful and inspiring tune. 



Now, I'm not really sure if I bring it all on myself with my unnatural enthusiasm, or maybe musicians just like me! But the sax man invited me up to pretend to sing on stage while he took my picture. The pianist awarded me with a necklace. They played "Only A Paper Moon" on my request. And I even got a picture with the whole band afterward! WOO! It's my dream to sing with the Disneyland Jazz Band. MY DREAM.










Only moments later, I was walking by myself down New Orleans Square (I had ditched Hannah for the musicians) and I came across another entertainment crew! 


Singing Sensational Pirates! Ha....



See this young man here playing the guitar?




Ya. He liked me. I was swaying along to one of the musical tunes and he walked up to me, leaned forward and whispered "You are swayed pretty easily aren't you?" And with a smile he continued singing and strumming as I laughed and he almost winked. Almost. The next song was dedicated to me. A Pirates Lament about women. Or something like that...






Ah. What a dream...


Or should I say, Aye! What a dream! (Ya, ya....that was pretty bad)






Hannah and I also came across some Hillbilly band in California Adventure. I'm not sure if it was my inviting smile or my overalls; but the old man invited Hannah and I to play the washboards and sing It's A Small World! Good times.







I dunno why he gave me the tiny washboard...






We also came across the incredible Dapper Dans Quartet! Love them.






And then there was Jonny. Oh, Jonny. One morning as we walked through Main Street toward Adventure land, the beautiful sound of Ragtime piano played in my ears. 




I looked up and that handsome man was playing and singing to Cruella Deville. I stopped to listen obviously. And again with my unnatural enthusiasm or inviting smile, he looked up at me and yelled "I'm not singing this song about you, young lady!". He finished the singing the song then asked me if I had any requests. I was speechless and in awe of his incredible piano talent I couldn't come up with a song. So he said he would choose one and started playing Michael Buble's "Everything". I sang along... You know that part that just keeps saying "Love love love love love love love?" Mmmmhhmmm. 


I walked away, he finished playing and winked at me.


Oh ya.


I came back to see if he was playing later on that day and someone else was playing and they had me come up and play! JAZZ! And sing! On the piano!




This girl started dancing and sticking her tongue out at me. We had fun together.



Anyway. My heart basically stopped/melted/turned into a butterfly/exploded everytime one of these experiences were experienced. Call me crazy, but the music is one of my favorite things about Disneyland. I love the entertainment. It's all old school and themed too! 


Maybe someday, Jonny or that crazy pirate will call me up and have me come live in Disneyland with them and I can go sing with The Royal Street Bachelors, play piano on Main Street, befriend the Dapper Dans, feed birds, dance with kids to Disney music, and become a legend.


This man is a Disney legend.


   
Chef Martinez. He is the oldest employee at Disneyland. Also the friendliest. Everyone at the Carnation Cafe was loved and enjoyed by Chef Martinez. It was truly inspiring. 


Disneyland pretty much is inspiring. 


And obviously, a place where dreams come true.


I hope I go back soon.


Till then, 


I'll keep on dreaming. 

No comments: