-->

Sunday, February 13, 2011

A little excited. Just a little.

So....tomorrow is Valentines Day!

No, I did not just realize this.

I have been aware of that fact for weeks...If not months. Or having that fact subconsciously on my mind ever since Christmas ended.

I LOVE Valentines day.

I prefer to enjoy the holiday of love rather than having a cynical attitude about being single or wearing black to mourn our un-relationshipness. NO. Love is grand.

Plus, it's probably the most entertaining holiday as watching people dress up in pink and turn into giddy fools is really quite enjoyable.

In my excitement this week--I have come to a horrible realization.



My mother never taught me not to play with my food.



Actually....she probably did. But I must not have learned the concept so well.

My week of preparation started with making Valentines Cookies for my friends.

I learned something:

NEVER trust a new recipe and the "Yeild" quantity.

I made cookies Thursday. For 5 HOURS. Yes. The recipe said it would only make 2 dozen. Little did I know, 2 dozen means FIVE HUNDRED COOKIES (ok.....more like 150....but that's a lot). AH! I am completely and utterly exhausted. But--I look forward to tomorrow when I can give my five hundred cookies to random strangers and also my friends and brighten up their day with the gift of love.





Then my week also consisted of the Sweethearts dance. I went with my friend Kent.


"My heart is yours if you come to the V-dance with me"

Awwwww

Obviously I said YES.

The night consisted of going up the canyon to make tin foil dinners. This was slightly disastrous and we ended up going back to the house to finish cooking them. Kent and I decided to dress up in Valentines crazy outfits. Those were interesting. But hey, dancing in them was prety fun. The dance was CANDYLAND themed! AH. I asked the principle if I could take home the decorations but he said I probably couldn't. Disappointed.

But the dance went well.

Again: I went a little overboard with the whole Valentines theme.

I present my tin foil dinner:

Yes, those are potatoes and carrots and onions and beef and barbecue spices. Mmm.

My tin foil dinner magically turned into...... A CONVERSATION HEART!

My tin foil dinner burning in the fire of love. Symbolic? I think yes.



Sweethearts was a blast. Thanks Kent :)


Today is Sunday. Every Sunday for the past ten years or so, my family has pancakes and eggs. It is a wonderful tradition. Half the time we invite families or missionaries over to share too. Today was our pancake dinner: VALENTINE EDITION.

I went all out.

Bananas?

Strawberries?

Pink Pancakes?

The table

My delicious final product. Perfect.

My family really loves Valentines Day. Asia made TONS of hearts and taped them all over the house about three weeks ago. They make me happy.



Sorry for the huge Heart-Attack in this post. I went a little overboard. But no worries! The side-effects are definitely good ones: you may experience giddiniess, gratitude, love, affection, admiration, appreciation, excitement, etc. Don't feel the need to report them to your doctor, Love is natural, folks.

Enjoy it.

Love,
Shelby

1 comment:

Cassady said...

Shelby, I love this post. You changed my outlook on Valentines Day a little bit. :) Thanks for that. You're a wonderful friend! I love you!