-->

Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Lesson on Gratitude

For some reason, we are always grateful for things after they are gone. Like boyfriends. And chocolate. Parents. School. A job. Money. Food. You get the idea.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder..." they always say.

I usually tend to agree with Maid Marian when she finishes that quote: "...or more forgetful".

But today I realize it's the truth.

I am grateful for wisdom teeth.

When I had wisdom teeth I didn't have a pool of blood in my mouth at all times that I had to decide whether to swallow or spit out...
...onto a rag. This rag was once used to clean dishes. But will probably be sacrificially burned now. My mom will miss it when it's gone.

I'm grateful for rags.

I'm grateful for broth.

I'm grateful for crying. The sleeping drug knocked me out for 90 minutes, but when I woke up all I could do was cry. Honestly, what a blessing. I was nervous I was going to go crazy and say a list of inappropriate things. Like...what boys I wanted to kiss. That kind of material is never safe on video. So crying was good. At least I was coherent. 

I'm grateful for blood clots. If my blood didn't clot I think I'd stand over the sink for 72 hours (or forever) with my mouth open. Be grateful for blood clots.

I'm grateful for gause.

I'm grateful for my cheeks. You know, I have nice cheeks. I can't wait till they come back.

I'm grateful for ice cream. What a grand excuse to get buckets and buckets of FREE ice cream.

I'm grateful for my family and friends. Who knew that getting your wisdom teeth out gave you the right to boss everyone around all day! My laundry got washed and folded, I watched 4 movies, I had couple spoonfuls of a meal, and even had a change of clothes; all sitting on the same couch cushion! Incredible. Maybe someday if I get some chronic illness I'll remember this perk.
Oh, and your friends all come visit you and chat with you for a while to help with the boredom. I don't know any other time I could get my friends to drop everything and just sit by me while I moan and look hideous. Awesome.

Oh, I'm grateful for smiling. I haven't smiled all day. Not because I'm not happy....I just...can't. The lack of endorphins is a little odd.

I'm grateful for wisdom.

See, when I was younger I thought you lost all your wisdom when you got your wisdom teeth out. Somehow all the knowledge you'd gained till then was stored in those 4 teeth and you had to start over when they were removed. But I realized that getting your wisdom teeth out makes you wise. I mean, really--first time in my life I'm grateful for blood clots.

When you say your prayers tonight, remember to be grateful you can swallow and that you aren't recovering from oral surgery. What a blessing.

Peace out,

Shelby Sue

P.S. Feel free to bring over some ice cream if you want. I promise I'll share ;)

No comments: