-->

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Rexburg Remembered

18 months.

What a strange allotment of time.

Rexburg, Idaho, has been my home for almost 18 months.

I changed my life here. I completed 45 credits of college, joined Cross Country and Student Alumni Association, gained a testimony of missionary work, made best friends, gave away best friends, developed my painting talent, had some boyfriends here and there, made hard decisions, was manipulated and degraded and taken advantage of, found a better balance of judgement and mercy, ate ice cream at Neilsen's almost every week, danced and sang in the kitchen, listened to my record player in the dark in the living room, had photo shoots and bonfires at the sand dunes, cried at the beauty of a summer valley, got lost in a riverbank, watched the most spectacular firework show west of the Mississippi, hated Satan more every day, loved God more every day, rode a wagon to the grocery store, ran miles and miles through cornfields and dusty roads and Christmas lights, finished my first timed-5K, lost 25 lbs., celebrated two birthdays and my first 4th of July away from home, sang in the shower, cried....a lot--but many happy tears, had slumber parties, fulfilled the hardest calling I've ever had, learned how to be a Christ-like caregiver, hiked a snow-covered mountain, grew up, learned that life isn't just for fun--it's a battle to be won, basked in the company of beautiful children, basked in the company of angels, had a kiss or two, saw my best friend fall in love and get engaged, saw another best friend conquer the world, threw out my back, learned the importance of a mother, sang in Women's choir, recovered from painful shin splits, held hands and looked at the stars, crawled through the ice caves, laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed, went to my first drive-in movie, heard someone pray for the first time, was filled at times with so much of God's love for His children I couldn't speak without His power and truth bursting from me, got called to serve a mission, was tried and tested and refined, and was continuously prepped and molded so I could successfully conquer the next 18 months of my life....

Cleveland,

I can't wait to serve you.

But, I must admit, the short and sweet glimpse of time I had here in Rexburg changed my life. I probably won't come back here. The memories will be like another life. A flash of brilliance from my past forevermore where I became a woman.

The separation is hitting me. Rexburg:  Goodbye, goodbye. I never realized till now the Spirit of Ricks is so real. And so inspiring. Please help me create that in my home. I don't want to lose the light I've gained here. Let me take it to Ohio. Let it grow.

But, for now...

Thank you. For the joy of an adventure. A journey. A blessing.

An 18 months.


I'm going to miss you.

No comments: