-->

Monday, July 16, 2012

DTR

 DTR. It's one of the BYU college terms like NCMO, or MC, or RM. The culture seems to be full of them. Once I came to college I suddenly had this crazy new lingo nobody quite understands. DTR is one of these terms. Officially, it stands for Define The Relationship. But, I think it should be Disastrous Train wReck. Or Deny The Reality. Something to that nature.... Anywho, they stink. I mean, how awkward is it when you sit down with a person of the opposite gender who you've known a week or two and discuss 'feelings'? Or the potentiality for 'feelings'? Also, something strange happened when I left high school. My whole life I was used to the girls being the dramatic ones who were ready to commit at the drop of a hat and would sacrifice anything for their COW (Crush of the Week. There's another BYU acronym...from EFY...ironically). But once college hit, everything turned upside down. The men became the emotional and dedicated ones and the women are just fickle and run away all the time. I'm not really sure what caused the change. Maybe it's because we are playing for keeps now. It's a Dangerously Touchy Realm. Seriously. SO MUCH PRESSURE. I feel like the instant I agree to a second date with a boy, we are in a relationship. Then when I get around to deciding whether or not I want to keep dating them, it's as if they confess their love and it's all or nothing. "Love me or leave me". Doesn't love take TIME? Ya. Oddly enough, that's a foreign idea here at BYU-I. So then their heart is on the line and it's completely my responsibility to decide what to do with it. It's not fair, really. Not fair.

3 DTR's in one day is disastrous to the soul.

Can someone make up my mind for me?

Much appreciated.

-Shelby.

1 comment:

Kimberly Noelle said...

Hahahaa this cracked me up! Shelby! You wanted woman! I too thought DTR was just a BYU term. Then I saw it used on the internet by someone completely unrelated to anything LDS. So either the phrase spread quickly, or we're not as 'original' as we thought. :)